7 March 2010

Gran Torino


A few loose ends.

I waited and waited and was finally rewarded with a sale price on the movie Gran Torino. Rented it and enjoyed it very much some time ago. It seemed a very funny film then, the ending something of a surprise. Last night, as we watched it a second time, it seemed a sad film, the ending being no surprise.

I cried, not too much, good thing I did not drink too much last night like usual. I may have blubbered if I had done so.

There are few movies where I see a character that much resembles me: old guy who drinks too much, goes to roller derby, earns every motherfucking thing he has got and is ever going to get. Gran Torino is the exception. I never went to fucking Korea but growing up in Sliverville, staggering around the East End and living out here in Steepleton has been a more war-like experience than people from away are promised in the Visit Canada! promotional crap they get handed to them by their travel advisers.

************************************************

I was having a few Stanley Park beers as I watched Gran Torino. Us Canadians are pretty good at hockey but brewing is where we really excel. Great fucking stuff. I little dry, it reminded me a little of the Asahis I drink when I eat Japanese.

************************************************

The Olympics have been over for a week, yet we continue to pat ourselves on the back for how it all turned out. It is unseemly. It is as if Dope City (and Canada) has never exceeded expectations in the past. Never forget the greatest lesson Dope City was ever taught at the 1954 Commonwealth Games: Don't look back, motherfuckers, something might be gaining on you.

No comments: