27 March 2008

Anne Murray Special


Believe it or not on Sunday night I cozied up on the couch with Sonja at my side, the Hammer at my feet and Anne Murray on the television. It was a golden hour of Canadian Love.

The hastily produced hour was all about the making of Anne's latest record of duets and a great way to give her daughter Dawn some much needed exposure. kd lang, Jann Arden, Olivia Newton John and a bunch of other women gushed about how Anne was the Canadian Elvis and that sort of thing. The highlight for me was Emmylou Harris' brief appearance. All in all the tv special had more talent on show than the CBC has managed for years.

Sonja laughed through much of the show. It was very annoying. I clapped at the end of each song and sang along when I could remember the words.

You don't live in a beautiful place
And you don't dress with the best of taste
And nature didn't give you such a beautiful face
But baby oooooooooooooooooooo
You've got what it takes

For the next month I will be whistling the songs Anne sang on the tv at work. This morning over coffee Poops asked, "How long is everybody going to have to listen to you whistle along to that shit?"

I told him, "That ain't shit Poops. That's Anne Murray."

"I know it is Anne Murray. She was one of the answers on my citizenship exam," Poops responded proudly.

No comments: