10 January 2008

Identification


When I was in England not many of my comrades identified with the Beatles except for a few who still thought John was ok. Just about everybody I went to school with did an impression of Lennon though. The long haired cunt got into everybody's head.

The Bay City Rollers had recently been a big motherfucking deal. A few girls could still be seen wearing their Roller gear as they bopped down the sidewalk. But if any of my chums wished they were high voiced pill popping sons of Scotland they kept it quiet.

Quite a few of the lads were into the glam. Slade had just begun their decline, a decline which continues until this day; Marc Bolan was still alive; David Bowie was an international superstar; Gary Glitter may have been going at it with underage boys in a faraway country brimming with underage boys.

Having been a Hawkwind fan since my mid-teens I grouped myself with the boys who saw something in Lemmy they liked. I was in the group who liked ugly loud motherfuckers who liked vodka, Carlsberg Special and pills. The same boys liked the Groundhogs, Stray, Judas Priest and the Pink Fairies. I got to see all the bands, including the first go round of Motorhead while I was over there. The Pink Fairies put on the best rock show. Judas Priest were the loudest but only because Motorhead were supporting Hawkwind when I saw them.

It is good to have role models.

No comments: