7 August 2008

On the Beach


Well I got a notion that
You got some suntan lotion in that bottle of yours
Spread it all over my peeling skin baby
That feels real good

- The Stranglers


Like most guys who live near the water I thought there was a good chance I would meet my true love on the beach. I never did think real good. I was a skinny fuck when I got in most of my beach time, the beer has taken care of that, and skinny fucks are not what girls at the beach want to give true love to I guess.

I found my true love in the woods. We were both really drunk and happy. Still are.

The beach is one place the government or business have not found a way to charge money to get to. The beach is Anarchy at its best. People get along for the most part. I can only think of one person who was murdered on a beach around here. I think what makes the beach so great is its slow pace. Makes a man appreciate what the world was like before society went insane with speed.

2 comments:

Your driver said...

Unlike the rest of the human race, I was raised by very odd people. ("Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird.") I asked my mother why we only to the beach once a year for one day. She told me, "There are beach people and mountain people and we are mountain people." By mountain people she meant the wooded hills of upstate New York. She was right. I don't really like the beach that much, but feel in my element in big woods. Drinking in the woods was never anything special, but I used to do heroic doses of acid and spend a couple of days wandering in the woods. I was a pig in shit. That was, of course, then.

ib said...

"I think what makes the beach so great is its slow pace."

That, and the fact people for the most part - in the hot weather, anyway - are stripped of the consumer baubles which broadcast wealth and status. Sure, people still invest a disproportionate amount of time and money dressing up for the slow promenade, but the effect is deadened by the heat and general indolence of the grazing herd.

Drunk or not, if you're deep in the woods you're probably more alert.

"Looks like I'm gonna be stuck
here the whole summer,
well what a bummer..."