30 March 2008

Rusty Nail


You could say I am open to suggestion. Sonja and I were out for Chinese. Before me was a colourful place mat listing a couple dozen or more cocktails. What kind of a fucking word is cocktails anyway? All of the drinks on the place mat were lady drinks except for one. Pink Ladies, Grasshoppers, Manhattans...I wanted to barf. On several occasions I had made my way through most, maybe even all the way through similar place mat lists just for fun before collapsing in an alcoholic heap in a nearby ditch.

One drink was not a lady drink, the venerable Rusty Nail. I ordered a triple.

And a damn fine triple Rusty Nail it was. It went down faster than a 16 year old backstage at the Stardust when Art the Fart was the King of Suburban Rock 'n' Roll and kids had better things to do with their evenings than play computer games and shoot one another dead down in the street.

That Rusty Nail was Drambuie mixed with house scotch. I did not ask which brand. Tonight I have been working on Drambuie mixed with Arran 10 year old. I think I have yet another New Problem to make a mess of me.

I am not the sort of idiot to believe in God, only the gifts of Scotland permit me to allow for the possibility of the existence of the Greatest God of all: Shitface.

Give the Motherfucker Praise!

6 comments:

JustFrankie said...

ia that one of my old all time favorite ny rangers who got suspended for a bs cocaine incident?

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

That is the same Bob Murdoch. Did he play with the Rangers? Honestly, I forget the Murdoch saga except for the part about him getting screwed by the NHL.

Doesn't he look smashing in Bay Green?

Anonymous said...

Hey, whazza matter with 'Black Russians' ? It doesn't sound very lady-like to me. My only objection to them is that they are so damn small. Zombies, on the other hand, now they are REAL drinks, with a very apt name. I raise a toast to you Beer.
Molly

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Any drink mixed with booze below the 40% manly threshold is a lady's drink. Why can't those Mexicans make 40% Kahlua?

One of my favourite bars makes a Zombie that has 10 kinds of rum in it. That is a drink for a man I guess. But I've never tried one - rum makes me vomit more than usual.

mollymew said...

TEN KINDS OF RUM !!!! Jesus H. Christ, the best I have ever seen was five.The usual here is three.I guess you must live in civilization. Send that guy's name of to the Pope as a candidate for canonization.
Wanna drink rum and avoid getting intimate with the toilet bowl ? Try screech. I tried it when the wife and I visted Newfoundland last year, and got the shock of my life. It goes down much better than Coca-Cola. The hangovers are even mild. Newfie Zombie...take an extra large glass. Fill it up with screech. Add a drop of red food dye. Happy evenin' me fish.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

The 10 rum Zombie bar is not in this country. We have laws against that sort of thing.

I'll second the Screech endorsement. I am told they used to produce a much stronger Screech than is presently distributed. That was the Screech that first warmed my belly.

Good to hear you made it to the Republic. It is a great place to vacation.