14 February 2008

The Movement of Her Ears

The neighbourhood woods had homeless residents all winter long for the first time this year. When I took the Hammer for a walk down the muddy path I could see the large tent had been reinforced against the recent rains. The woods people have built a bridge over the creek and they must be taking their garbage out or burying it because the site is cleaner than most of my neighbours' back gardens, including my own.

The Hammer knows there are people in the tent. I can see by the movement of her ears she can hear them doing whatever it is homeless people do in a tent to keep warm as hockey season gives way to spring.


And spring, I hope, will arrive early this year. Along the path salmon berry branches have buds on them one inch long. Today, on my way home from my soon to be closed sawmill, I saw a raspberry farmer driving his tractor through the field he hopes will provide him with a record breaking crop.

And what is more, entertainment starved/lost in the past Steepleton has something in store for it to satisfy our need for fun and love of days gone by - we got ourselves a Roller Derby team.

Motherfuck the Olympics.

2 comments:

Your driver said...

Is that mill really going to close, or are you just allowing as how it's likely to go the way of the rest of the industry? To pick up another, older thread, and tie it to this one, I've been listening to an old midwest punk band, Toxic Reasons, and remembering the collapse of American Industry, circa 1982. The Toxic Reason song that sets me off is "Ghost Town"--

"I don't wanna live in ghost town
I don't wanna see people standing around
With nothing to do
Except for me and you."

I enjoy being a slacker in a town full of overachievers. I hated working hard to survive in a town that was going nowhere.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

None of the really old sawmill locations around Dope City still have saws at work on them. The lands that once supported thousands of families with work are now crowded with yuppie scum competing with one another for who has the cutest motherfucking chihuahua and the heftiest mortgage. Same thing will happen where I work; it just a matter of time. Land prices are so high around here a sawmill closed recently that was making millions every month. My sawmill is not making millions every month.

Toxic Reasons were a superb punk rock outfit. I remember the summer they spent in Dope City - those Dayton motherfuckers could really rock.