17 February 2008

Brighter Than Creation's Dark


The neighbourhood cats woke me up fucking and screaming and spitting and ejaculating in the early hours this morning. The cats were some noisy as well.

I lay there for a spell wondering why I just had to go and finish off that bottle of absinthe that was in the back of the fridge last night. Then I remembered how the bottle made the hockey players on my tv look like hockey players did before the Swedes and the motherfucking Russians turned our game pussy.

I got out of bed. The Hammer followed me into the kitchen and watched me open a beer and take a magic glug. She went back to sleep as I drank my beer. Then I tried to make a spaghetti sauce like Cordova Street's long gone Hombre's made for family on Saturday nights - the best (hotter than Pamela Anderson's goods on an August Ladysmith night in 1980) spaghetti you ever ate and listened first to a little bluegrass Christian music on WDVX-FM and then the new Drive-By Truckers' record.

When I first listened to Brighter Than Creation's Dark in the car as I followed the river bank home from the record store I thought it was a country record. I guess that was because I had just finished listening to a couple cd's worth of Velvet Underground and Lou Reed songs. Soon as I listened to the record a second time I realised my first impression was mistaken. Brighter Than Creation's Dark is a rock record alright; a rock record like the bands with hairy, deformed balls used to make before the corporations made sure you started listening to mindless shit instead of music with guts and spirit.

And even though I am still pissed Shonna and the boys are not hitting Dope City on their tour I suggest you go fucking buy this record and all the rest of their records and their brilliant concert dvd from a few years back. And buy yourself a bottle of absinthe while you are out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEER!... Ya know that Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.Or somethin like that.Get your ice trays full cause I'm coming to slurp up all your Scotch and scratch the Hammers' ears.See ya soon.Don't forget to hide Anne's records cause I'll burn them or use them for targets on the hockey net.YEAH , that's it!TARGET PRACTICE.

Anonymous said...

You've seen this, haven't you?- http://www.okanaganspirits.com/buy-absinthe-canada/index.html

I've gotten a bottle of their pear eau de vie and it's niiiiice.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

If you could hit a 12" round target the Canucks would trade the rights to Tiger Williams' bastard children for you.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Steph: You are right and I cannot wait to try it when I am up in Vernon for the horse races this summmer, if not before. I will be speaking to my local booze merchant about it shortly. Canadian absinthe ought to be the official inebriant of the 2010 Olympiques.