17 January 2008

Purple Cough Syrup Haze


I was hoping to make it through this winter without catching a cold. Alas, my hopes ran aground dreaded Snot Island. Instead of working I have been recuperating (spent the last few days high as a kite) at home with only my dog, a record player and my imagination for company.

I had not heard Smoke On the Water for a while. As I listened I was briefly returned to my lemon gin past, rocking on the hardwood dance floor with girls I never stood a chance with and girls who rarely ever stood up long enough to shake their hair with Ritchie Blackmore.

The old rock song that has really stayed with me through this purple cough syrup haze is the late Dee Dee Ramone's 23 year old I'm Not Afraid of Life.

I am not afraid of life
of the poor man's struggle
of the killer's knife
of an insane rage
of the minimum wage

But I see an old lady with a shopping bag
and I wonder if life is a drag

I am not afraid of pain
but it hurts so bad
I feel so mad
no one sees the truth
there's nothing to gain
a life goes down the drain
don't want to die at an early age

But I see a street crazy shivering with cold
is it a crime to be old

there's the threat of a nuclear bomb
we know it's wrong
we know it's wrong
is there a chance for peace
will the fighting ever cease
mankind's almost out of luck
a maniac could blow us up
I am not afraid of life
but I get down on my knees and pray
is there hope for the world today

No comments: