5 January 2008

Drive-by Truckers


One of the reasons punk rock got going and pissed off a lot of people was because most of the rock bands who were at or near the top of the heap did not put on many rock shows. During the year I spent in England, for example, Status Quo, my favourite bunch of coked up rockers before I heard Eddie and the Hot Rods and the Sex Pistols, played exactly three shows in Britain - all up in motherfucking Scotland. It is hard to be a fan of a band when you see underage girlschool pussy more often than the band that inspired your fussy hairstyle.
So when I first heard the Drive-by Truckers, learnt they had already played Dope City a couple times even though they are based out of the Southern States and saw them once myself, I thought I had a band I could support. That was before they cancelled their show in town last year and by-passed Dope City again on the tour they are about to begin. Motherfuckers. I would have bought an extra t-shirt if I thought they were going to wait for the 2010 Olympics to visit again.

After my shift at the next sawmill that is going to close down on the coast I took the Hammer for her walk. She really wants to gun it when the weather is cool. She scuffed at the pile of homeless people's shit she was sniffing at the other day that I buried with my big, black boot under some rotten leaves and mud. After her splash in the creek I fed her and opened a tall Tuborg - they are on sale again. Sonja still was not home, she is getting her haircut, so I put The Dirty South into the player and turned it up loud enough to entertain the neighbourhood. Fuck them, it's Friday night.



Knowing that it's in you and you never let it out
Is worse than blowing any engine or any wreck you'll ever have

9 comments:

Your driver said...

I got curious, so I checked around and found "New Dark Age Parade" by your pals, the subhumans at iTunes for 9.99 (US) which is now like, 2.00 Canadian. You can also get it eMusic for around 3.50 US but you have to have a monthly eMusic subscription. eMusic is a pretty good deal. I'd imagine it's a better deal in Canada. If the dollar keeps sliding, we'll have to send you money every time you buy something from us.

Drive-By Truckers don't do it for me, but I love Southern Culture on the Skids, not as artsy I guess. Have you ever heard The Meat Purveyors? They were a bluegrass band from Texas. They played a tiny bar near here last year. One of the best shows of my life. Something about Drive-By Truckers reminded me of them. That was a great show in a town where down town is one block long and there are no traffic lights. First up was a lovely duo, the Pickin' Trix, singing, "Shut yer piehole/ You gotta mouth fulla shit" in angelic country harmony. Then The Meat Purveyors. How they got here from Texas remains a mystery, but they tore it up. The most frenzied thrash band you ever heard seem laid back compared to them. Finally, local boys, Stiff Dead Cat who drove the crowd into a frenzy with their bluegrass version of War Pigs by Black Sabbath.
I hadn't been to a show in several years, crowds make me nervous, but it was really fun. I have lived around plenty of old school, cross burning rednecks, so I had my doubts about all of this neo redneck country punk stuff, but I like it real well now.

You drink beer and write about it. I drink tea, lots of tea, and can't get to sleep. I sit up late and read other people's websites and write long, long comments that have nothing to do with the original topic. Have a nice weekend.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Before I discovered the magic of beer I was Mr. Tea N. Toast.

I'll look up the Meat Purveyors. Seems to me I have heard good things about them before.

The Stiff Dead Cats are onto a good thing. Local act the Hard Rock Miners played super fiddlin' versions of Motorhead and the Sex Pistols' songs. A great song can be played in any style. That's why I would still like to hear Anne Murray sing John Cale's "Dirty Ass Rock 'n' Roll."

All culture is on the skids except for the Culture of War.

Your driver said...

There was a time when beer worked pretty good for me, but in the end, it had a tendency to make me sit around by myself and despair. Tea seems to do something like beer used to do. I find things interesting and I want to sit up all night and bother people. I haven't tried combining it with toast.

I think the whole bluegrass/punk/metal thing is a popular in joke. Have you heard Dwight Yoakam's version of Train In Vain? I like it better than The Clash. Oh no. I've desecrated the sacred memory of Joe Strummer! Hell, he can handle it.

RossK said...

Anne Murray will never play that filth of a man named Cale.

And as for Mr Strummer - he would ride Mr. Yokum like a Lionel if it got him one more gig.

But what about Beer and Toast?


(with Cheeze Whiz)

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Don't get me going on Cheez Whiz again.

I suppose Cale's filthy factor may have something to do with her doing duets with just about everybody but the Welsh Rock.

RossK said...

You know Cheeze Whiz (is there really an 'h' in there?) is not like other jones'.

Heck I've gone to it maybe 10 or 12 times (my mom still keeps it in the fridge door to put on celery sticks) and all it took to get past it was 4 or 7 500g jars.

Small price to pay I say.

.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

My favourite Cheez Whiz was the Mexican stuff they made maybe 20 years ago. That was the Cheez Whiz you definitely did not want to put down your underpants.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Besides putting it in your drawers, the best thing about Cheez Whiz is that, no matter how hungover you are, you can still make yourself a quick sandwich in the morning to take to work that is not peanut butter without (too much) risk of losing a finger.

Don't even get me going on Lemon Cheese.

As an aside, I spent some time in the food industry during one of the many slow times of the forest industry. I may have to dust off my hairnet yet again. The most disgusting product to make in an industrial food setting is Cheez Whiz. The orange shit drove the rats fucking mad.

RossK said...

Shhhhh.....

Careful - you're giving the Pixar sniffers ideas for Ratatouille Two.

Sheesh

(good point about the fingers - hadn't considered that)