2 June 2007

Live To Win


On Friday nights WDVX-FM broadcasts the blues. I like it.


I like listening to blues, having some beer, petting my dog's head under the desk and going over my racing paper. The local track has been in action long enough this spring for me to take a serious crack at a few races tomorrow. Tomorrow features just the sort of races I like best: cheap claiming events without a sweepstakes race on the card.


Once in a while in this forbidden space I predict a race result. So far I have yet to tip off the 2 + 2 crowd to a winner. Today I bring you predictions for the entire card at Dope City Downs.


In the first, a 3 1/2 furlong sprint for 2 year olds, I like the looks of the Sultan of Skat. Her clocked morning workout times suggest early speed and that's what short races like this are all about.


For the second race, a $25,000 maiden claimer for 3 year old fillies, I'm backing Launch Our Star to leave the field from the gate and never look at her opponents again until she is turning around on the back stretch to greet the camera man back at the finish line.


In the third race, I expect Pingita to run a little more like she did last year as a 2 year old with a good post and the addition of lasix.


The fourth race has an obvious favourite by the name of Imperialist looking to score his first win. I am thinking Somekindatuff will get too far ahead of the favourite to catch. Hell, I might even play the two of them with Big City Cat in the exacta.


Regal Roo looks like she should rock the fifth.


Just Call Me Blonde starts her second year racing with a route in the sixth. A favourite angle of mine is horses who like to run long getting back to racing without bothering with a sprint prep.


If Yolanda runs at all like she did last year in this, her second start of the meeting, she will win easy. This race looks like as good of a place to put down a few bucks on a trifecta as any. I'll play the numbers 6-2-7-8.


In the eighth race the best horse, Alpine Secret, looks to be underneath leading jockey Mario The Gut.


Dramatic Charmer looks ready to do her stuff in the ninth. She showed improved early speed in her last race and this is her third race of the year for a trainer who does not push his horses in their first race or two unless he is sneaking in a motherfucking bomb.


The day's feature race, a $25,000 claimer for 3 year old fillies, is a good betting race for a race with only six horses competing. I am looking for Mocha Time to get a healthy early lead and make up for some of the losses I have incurred during the first nine races. On the other hand, if I am in the black I will bet this race the heaviest of them all and hope to go home with a good story to tell my dog on our Saturday evening walk.

No comments: