10 November 2017

Old Guy Bars, Young Folk Bars



For the most part I drink in old guy bars now. Been comfortable in them my whole life. Places like the Windsor, the Austin, the Grand Union and the great pub that once graced the basement of the Georgia Hotel.

So spending a couple evenings in bars filled mostly with young folk last weekend was something of an eye opener for me. For one thing just about everybody was on hallucinogenic drugs. Had to keep ducking flying saucers all fucking night. Bouncer I asked about it said I was only exaggerating a little. “A third of them are on E. Another third are on acid. Just about everybody else are on coke or prescription drugs.”

And I thought the old punk rock crowd was bent out of shape.

For another, women sure were comfortable in the men’s room, just like they were in my old days punk rock world.

To close, all the young men appeared to be modeling their behaviour on Dope City legendary Freeman Simon Snotface. The young women appeared to have chosen Pebbles, the fearless darling bass player for the Wasted Lives.

2 comments:

Ray Blessin said...

This might be where we can look for guidance . . . but "we" might not give a shit . . . this has been working for 15 years but it does not seem that ANYBODY else in the fucking world has been paying attention . . .

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11942245

Ray Blessin said...

My Dad worked at Opsal Steel at 2nd & Ontario in the 40s-50s-60s. He would drive over to the Ivanhoe in his '38 Plymouth for a few beers every day at lunch. I would join him occasionally. He was like clockwork . . . the Ivanhoe . . a real old guy's 'beer parlour" . . . only one kinda beer . . . 20 cents a glass.