3 October 2017

Tom Petty Forever Tom Petty

Some friends of mine and me stayed up all through the night
Rockin' pretty steady 'till the sky went light
Didn't go to bed
Didn't go to work
I picked up the telephone
Told the boss he was a jerk

- Tom Petty



Sounds as though Tom Petty is pretty much lost to us. I am sad mostly because he was my brother Axel's favourite. Axel saw him several times over the years. What you would call a supporter.

Never saw the man myself except for on the tv. First time was on the Old Grey Whistle Test. Made a favourable impression he did. Like lots of his records. Especially that first one. Impeccable it is. Guess I will be playing his records this weekend and that his (still imminent) death will long remind me of (Canadian) Thanksgiving 2017.

3 comments:

Kim said...

He has passed. Rest in Power Tom, and thank you.

ib said...

I liked Tom Petty, too.

Seemed pretty young. Which makes me old.

Rob said...

Been a Petty fan for years. Have seen him twice at the Gorge in Washington, once with Steve Winwood and the other with Joe Cocker. My 30+ year old daughter has everything Tom ever did and seen him six times(She is a Petty freak if you know what I mean). She called me in April when I was in the US on vacation and said "Dad, Tom Petty is playing at Rogers Arena on August 17th and we have to go." I asked how much and was told $350 for my wife and I. Told her that was a little too much. She said to me, "Dad, he is really old and this could be the last time you can see him." I informed her that he was younger than me. She begged and I finally said okay. The opening band was the Lumineers who were fantastic and Petty was the best ever. I cried today and I am certain she did also. It reminded me of the day Frank Zappa died. Not fun.