9 May 2016

Mother's Day



Mother's Day.

We gathered as a family, not in an overcrowded mess, at my mother's place, near the beach, the adults hungover, some sporting fresh scrapes and bruises, the children as yet untouched by the family terrorist: the biggest, baddest motherfucker of them all: alcohol.

"You want a fucking beer or what?" my mother asked me after I kissed her and handed her some potted flowers and a card that curiously quoted Led Zeppelin in its Mother's Day poem.

After a few we got our lunch. Ham on rye, green salad, potato salad and strawberry cake. It was like a picnic in 1972.

After we ate my two youngest grand nieces, the shy ones who never say shit to me, invited me to play with them on the tire swing I had once played on back in the '60s. I pushed the swing. They swung.

It was better than Christmas, Mother's Day was.


No comments: