3 July 2011

Sweet Home Saskatoon


Every Friday and Saturday I have been watching the thoroughbred races from Saskatoon if I can. Marquis Downs. The bushes. I thought there might be a horse slaughterhouse somewhere close to the track so I checked. Turns out there is not. If a horse cannot win in Saskatoon they get shipped back to motherfucking Alberta to be turned into meat for the European market.

In the background, between races, you can hear the music the racetrack plays for the good horse loving people of Saskatoon. Every night they play Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama." They are my kind of people, the people of Saskatoon are. So sweet I bet, one day, they will discover the Drive-By Truckers are even better than Skynyrd ever were.

6 comments:

RossK said...

Here is something very, very strange that I have learned only recently while noodling/buskateering at the edge of your river where it meets the sea...

The melodic underpinnings of LSkynyrd's 'SweetHomeAla', SMiller's 'Take The Money And Run', and TheExcitableBoy's 'Werewolves of London' are, essentially, exactly the same.

I now play 'em all interchangably/running into each other, in 'E', with capo on II...

.

theo said...

The Drive By Truckers - yeah man. Actually, I am sure the good folks of Regina are more than aware of that band’s pedigree. I think the problem exists in whoever programs the music at public events. Here in Calgree at McMahon Stadium whoever is responsible for the music that comes over the PA between plays apparently has never discovered anything beyond the playlist that has not changed in twenty years of attending games. Oh, did I mention it SUCKS!!? On a similar vein, thanks for playing like shit on Friday, Stamps. I can bitch, I’m a season ticket holder.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Gazz - I bet all three of them further share the same melodic structure as an Eddie Cochranne song too. Simplicity and familiarity goes a long, long way on this planet.

Theo - Good to hear you are a CFL season ticket holder. I am big supporter of loyalty, even if that loyalty is to Calgary's red and white concrete cowboys.

And yeah, motherfuck Toronto!

RossK said...

ECochran really is the real King.

Especially in the Key of A.

(we do his version of the frozen-lipped shoes)

.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

No one ever went wrong staying close to the flame but quite a few got burned.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Gazz - and thanks for the 1:49. If I ever get started on you tube you may never hear from me again. Look up Daily Hitler for the candle in the wind that got lit less than 15 years after Cochran's got snuffed out.