4 January 2008

Mike Graham


I want a life of celebrity, devoid of integrity
and have the cameras flashing just for me
Be blind to my inability, divorce myself from reality
The inner sanctum doors will open wide
Sell myself for a license fee
to every one who wants a piece
Don't think you'll get this stuff for free
Read my arrests, illicit sprees
Download the video and see
I'll still be a celebrity

I want to join the punditry
Advocate irresponsibility
Promote decay because it works for me
One for you, six for me
There's no such thing as society
and all the rules are set up just for me
I want to stun the nation
Purvey false information
I'll put the idiot in ideology
Make shady deals
Rant and squeal for every thug who pays my fee
But I'll still be a celebrity
I'll be the CEO you see smiling with the tyrant king
Anything that pays is fine with me
I'll sell them guns, I'll sell them bombs
I'll help them chain the ones they rob
and I'll still be a celebrity

Mike Graham - The Subhumans' New Dark Age Parade


The first time I saw Mike, his band the Subhumans (not the English wankers) were one of the bands that played before The Avengers rocked Dope City. Mike does not look much like a guitar hero but he sure sounds like one.

I saw Mike and his now legendary band several times after that. Saw them more than just about everybody. They were some of funnest times I ever had. Whoever it was who said if you have to get drunk and all doped up to enjoy something did not know what the fuck they were talking about.

The Subhumans made three lps and a few singles. The singles are scarce and the first couple albums hard to find. But you can get yourself a copy of New Dark Age Parade to listen to while you watch that motherfucking prostitute Valerie Bertinelli try to talk you into joining a fat farm on your big tv.

2 comments:

Your driver said...

Great lyrics. I could never find anything by the Subhumans. Tell the truth I stopped trying or I'm sure I would of. Didn't a couple of them go to prison for something that was political, but involved breaking a couple of windows or something?

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

If memory serves the Subs' bass player Gerry did about a nickle for his role in the bomb happy group Direct Action in the early '80s. While he was without liberty he managed to record an album's worth of material which was released on cassette only. Great camping music.