14 October 2007

Elbows Like Gordie Howe's


Last night Sonja and I went out to the moving picture show. And I got to pick the movie and what we would slip into our huge glasses of pop once we were safely in our sticky seats. We were going to be drinking the biggest rye and cokes in Canada.

There were advertisements before the show. One of them was from a local company (Heave Logistics) in search of workers. I hollered, "Scabs!" at the screen because the company is well know for its fascistic managerial style and ability to run its workers into the ground. Sonja planted an elbow in my ribs when I hollered the word no one likes to be called. My ribs are still hurting, my gal has elbows like Gordie Howe. But everybody in the theatre went real quiet after I shouted. That made the movie much easier to enjoy.

The only time Hollywood makes a great movie any more is by mistake but this one was pretty good. There was lots of shooting, a little stabbing, some fun dynamite scenes, loads of horses and cattle, and a little nudity. Just about what you would expect from a modern western. The movie was 3:10 to Yuma. Go see it if you are into that kind of thing.

3:10 to Yuma is not the best western, screen writers and directors have been trying to top Easy Rider for just about 40 years without success. If Wild Hogs' sequel is directed by Quentin Tarantino maybe it would take a run at Dennis Hoppers' western blaze of glory.

3 comments:

Your driver said...

Off topic: I followed your link here from Doc 40. Really like your blog. You are a hell of a writer. I'm an old punk, a union guy and the son of a Newfie immigrant. I gotta disagree with you on some stuff, but even the disagreeable stuff makes for good reading.

I'm probably way too PC for you. Blame it on Northern California. I'm a Dorothy Day/Howard Thurman Christian, sober for many years, BUT I LOVED THE LINK TO THE SEALERS ASSOCIATION. My family were sealers and cod fishermen for 200 years. When the animal rights hippies get going on the cruelty of sealing, I get in their face.

Oh and by the way, what kind of punk were you? I knew Joey Keithley and some of the people who passed through DOA. They were friends of friends from Detroit Rock against Racism. The BC punks that I met were real tough guys. Made my midwest crew seem pretty light weight. Good folks though. Shithead made my place in history. In his biography he tells stories from a couple of shows I was at and also relates an incident that took place in my apartment. I was afraid that history would forget me.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

I'll be god-motherfucking-damned. Thanks for taking the time to write Jon. Folks getting to it and at it and getting on despite their inevitable diagreements is where you will find me: at the end of the bar wondering where all my money went. Some of the best stuff I have read over the years is stuff I disagree with - that is the shit that makes us all think and maybe even laugh at the end of the day.

Did Dorothy Hay and Howard Thurman do it in the road? Those are my kind of Christians. Never heard of them but I'll look them up.

The way I see it us humans are not real nice overall. So why pick on sealers? The fuckers are just about defenseless. There is only one enemy that needs engaging: the government. The rest of us would be a lot better off with both our feet on common ground.

What kind of a punk was I? I was a punk when there was only one kind: we just wanted to have more fun and be more free than the hippies ever fucking dreamed of.

Most of the punks around here when Joe and I were young were Canuck fans - that'll toughen you up in one fuck of a hurry.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Looks like there is a 95% chance I have gobbed, puked or bled on you at some point in our common history.