4 November 2014

Canadians, It Has Been Said...



Canadians, it has been said, talk more about the weather than anybody.

In November where I live it rains like fuck. Gutters overflow, ditches overflow, rivers take in deadfall and send it spinning to the sea.

Some people do not like it. "Fucking rain," they say.

I am not one of those people. The rain gives me my country back when my countrymen stay indoors with their books, their computers and their television screens emerging only when their food and alcohol supply runs dangerously low.

I liked the old Dope City. Dope City before it became so choked with people it could not house them all.

The Hammer and I do not miss seeing the summer people come fall. How could we miss them when the world, once the hard rains fall, becomes ours?

No comments: